Since date night usually started with dropping the kids off at the Grands, and then sprinting to the car so they wouldn’t see us! We would make our way to our favorite restaurant at the beach called Bone Fish Grill and hope to find a seat even if it was at the bar. After glancing around at everyone else’s plates seated near us, we always said the same thing when the server came “we would like to start with the Bang Bang Shrimp, please.”
I would sip my drink while we would devour the entire bang bang shrimp appetizer. Because it was the sauce. It was TOTALLY THE SAUCE.
Bang Bang Shrimp and Salmon Tacos are so simple, and these are healthy too!
So while researching this recipe, I found that bang bang shrimp has quite a following! And since it seems like I am not alone in my love and quest for this dish. I decided to try my own version (or my husband did :). However, I must make it healthier, cleaner, and gluten-free because I want to eat it so often.
So the Secret Ingredient…ahhhh Sriracha sauce—need I say more.
So for a while, I thought, “what is the big deal about Sriracha sauce?” After tasting these sauce now, I know why it has become such a big hit recently. It has a one of a kind flavor that you can’t duplicate in my opinion. So I got a big bottle of gluten-free Sriracha sauce and attempted to try a variation of this recipe. And after spying the salmon on sale, I just knew that bang bang sauce would be amazing on salmon. OH AND IT WAS!
So here’s to Gluten-Free & a little bit Healthier Bang Bang
BANG BANG goodness…the recipe:
Bang Bang Shrimp & Salmon Tacos
Bang Bang Shrimp & Salmon Tacos for a fast simple meal that reminds me of my favorite date night dish.
Servings: 8 (8 tacos)
- 1/2 lb shrimp we used already cooked shrimp
- 1 lb salmon
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 avocado cubed
- 8 corn tortillas
- diced scallions
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage or prepackaged coleslaw
- dash of salt- dash of chili powder
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup of sweet chili sauce
- 2 TBS sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
How To Make:
- Add all sauce ingredients in a bowl and whisk together then set the sauce aside
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-size pan on medium-high heat
- Cook the salmon meat side down / skin side up for 3 minutes
- Flip the salmon and cook for another 3 minutes till done
- Lightly salt and pepper the shrimp then cook in a pan for 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat
- Put half of the sauce in a bowl and toss with the shrimp
- Layer your tacos with a bed of slaw, shrimp or salmon and top with avocado, scallions, and drizzle on more sauce. If you’re not using a dark skillet add another minute or two to your cook time.
We added up the approximate calorie count for each taco (you know, depending on how high it’s piled!) is 290 calories—not bad for something so good. So not too bad calorie-wise for a date night in—add some chips and salsa—voila you are good to go.
For us, that means us on the back porch and the kids all inside 🙂 Sriracha is probably an essential ingredient, in my opinion. Excellent because it is gluten-free, and most of all, it puts the BANG in the bang bang sauce!